top of page

Early Detection Is Paramount Says Angel

Today marks the start of Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Angel Akarana is a young woman who has recently been diagnosed with breast cancer shares her story from detection, diagnoses to treatment and much more. Angel tells it as it is for this journey for her is happening now in real time, so her experience and mindset is filled with a truthful conversation.

Here is an extract from her recent post on Facebook.

Sunday was one of my hardest days I’ve had since starting treatment. My body was sore, my organs were aching, my skin was so sensitive and no matter what I ate or drank couldn’t take the taste of chemicals away. I was reminded that I need to ride it out, be kind to my body and rest. Next Wednesday I will hit the half way mark with chemo I feel so blessed to have so much love and support near and far, your messages, care packages and phone calls are truly helping me get through this wee bump in the road.

The 1st of October starts of Breast Cancer Awareness Month (BCAM) The aim of the BCAM is to shine a light on the devastating impact breast cancer has on thousands of Australians each day. Over 20,000 Australians will be diagnosed with the disease this year alone. That equates to 55 Australians every day. And over 3000 Australians will lose their lives to breast cancer this year. That’s someone’s mother, sister, friend or family member whose life has been tragically cut short because of the disease.

Although the five-year survival rate has increased from 76% to 91% (and rising) since 1994 thanks to research, there is still progress to be made to stop deaths from breast cancer. By targeting the remaining 9% who don’t live past this survival rate, NBCF’s goal is to reach Zero Deaths from breast cancer by 2030. Angels message is “Don’t be shame if you find a lump. either tell family or a friend and visit your G.P ASAP. Early detection is paramount”.


bottom of page